He says that She is just unbelievable. She was able to bring a really amazing realism to Azula without being a kind of a cackling villain.
Erin Grey Van Oosbree, credited as Grey DeLisle and Grey Griffin, is an American singer, songwriter, and voice actress of Irish, Dutch, French, Mexican, and Norwegian descent.
She provided the voice for several characters in the Last Air Bender series. The most popular one was Princess Azula.
She later returned to voice two spirits in one episode of Book Two of The Legend of Korra and provided the voice for Ming-Hua, Lily, Kuon’s wife, and a young Lin Beifong in Book Three.
Some of her other television works include the following.
Television Work (For The Azula Voice Actor)
- Adventure Time with Finn & Jake.
- As Told by Ginger
- Beware the Batman
- Codename: Kids Next Door
- Dan Vs.
- Danny Phantom
- Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends
- Generator Rex
- Gravity Falls
- Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi
- Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil
- Kim Possible
- Samurai Jack
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated
- T.U.F.F. Puppy
- The Fairly Odd Parents
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
- The Mighty B!
- The Powerpuff Girls
- The Replacements
- The Spectacular Spider-Man
- The Super Hero Squad Show
- What’s New Scooby-Doo?
- Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!
- Xiaolin Showdown
- Young Justice
- She has also starred in other works.
- Baldur’s Gate (video game)
- Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (video game)
- Batman: Arkham City (video game)
- Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (video game)
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold – The Videogame (video game)
- Bayonetta (video game)
- Brütal Legend (video game)
- Diablo III (video game)
- Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (video game)
- Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening (video game)
- Escape from Monkey Island (video game)
- Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (video game)
- Final Fantasy X-2 (video game)
- FusionFall (video game)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us
- Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary (video game)
- Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet (video game)
- Mass Effect (video game)
- Mass Effect 2 (video game)
- Mass Effect 3 (video game)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (video game)
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (video game)
- StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (video game)
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope (video game)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (video game)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords (video game)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (video game)
- Tomb Raider: Underworld (video game)
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (video game)
- When Marnie Was There (2015; English dub)
- The Pirate Fairy (2014)
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
- Bratz Girlz Really Rock (2008 – singing voice)
- Bolt (2008)
- Beverly Hills Chihuahua (2008)
- Winx Club: The Secret of the Lost Kingdom (2007)
- TMNT (2007)
- Asterix and the Vikings (2006)
- Clifford’s Really Big Movie (2004)
Personal Information on The Azula Voice Actor
DeLisle grew up in a relatively challenging home. Her mother was heavily addicted to drugs which caused her to live with her grandmother for a good part of her childhood.
Her grandmother is Eva Flores Ruth, a vocalist who performed with salsa legend Tito Puente.
DeLisle was heavily into goth bands like The Cure but, who had become a born-again Pentecostal, set a strict rule banned secular music. In her teenage years, she started singing old gospel songs and eventually got into stand-up comedy.
In her comedy routine, DeLisle imitated voices particularly well and was advised to take a shot at voice acting. Her first starring role came in 1994 in the original English version of Crayon Shin-Chan, as the voices of characters Cosmo and Uma.
Delisle was born on August 24, 1973
Fort Ord, California.
After a few months in a long-distance relationship, DeLisle married her musician Murry in 2002. He was a bassist for the Old 97’s. They were featured in an episode of The Learning Channel program A Wedding Story. Their first child, Jefferson Texas “Tex” Hammond, was born on January 31, 2007, in Los Angeles, California.
DeLisle’s Career Other Than Being The Azula Voice Actor
She was tagged as a “Superstar Voice Actress” on the Anime News Network.
DeLisle has played the leading role in a large number of animated series.
Harp Magazine even went as far as calling DeLisle “golden-voiced.” She is highly recognized for her many roles over the years. Some of her roles include Vicky and Tootie in The Fairly Oddparents, Daphne in What’s New, Scooby-Doo?, and Emily Elizabeth in Clifford the Big Red Dog.
On top of her several English-speaking roles, she also speaks Japanese as the character Yumi on Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi.
She has been tagged as multi-talented and regarded highly in the Voice acting field. DeLisle has even had a lot of voice acting roles in many video games, such as Escape from Monkey Island, Baldur’s Gate 2, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, and several Star Wars games. She also voices the Dark Jedi, Asajj Ventress, in Star Wars: Clone Wars, Therese and Jeanette (Tourette) Voerman in the White Wolf RPG, PC game Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, Samantha Manson in Danny Phantom, Frankie in Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, and Frida Suárez in El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera. DeLisle has released four music CDs, which include goth-inspired folk and Americana tunes and a few gospel-style songs.
DeLisle: The Azula Voice Actor
She is widely recognized for her role as Princess Azula. She is the Princess of the fire nation, a young sister to Zuko, Daughter of Ursa and Ozai. Azula is a complicated child with a chaotic complex. Her mother often reflected on what to do with her. She always had an odd penchant for macabre things, enjoying darker things.
She was named after her Grandfather, Fire Lord Azulon. She is regarded as a true fire-bending prodigy, exhibiting talents beyond her age, even at a young age. She was applauded, whereas her brother Zuko always got the shorter end of the stick.
Azula has this sinister vibe to her character, which DeLisle brought to life perfectly. She seemed perfectly normal but still maintained a dangerous facet. Threatening lightning with a dark smile while she was at it.
Delisle created a masterpiece with the character Azula.